|To jump to the topics, click on the following:
Origin of the Name Goshen | Goshen’s Fire Department and Postoffice |
Goshen's Early Industries |
It has been very generally supposed that the first house built in Goshen was
built by William Bissell and was located where the Baptist church now stands,
at the corner of Sixth and Washington streets. It was a cabin, built of round
logs, as about all of the first cabins were built, with fireplace, stick
chimney, puncheon floor and greased paper windows. As far as can be ascertained,
this was the first house built on the original plat of Goshen, but it may not
have been the first house built within the present city limits of Goshen.
Some time in the summer of 1906 Mrs. Nancy Grissom, told the writer that in the fall of 1828 her step-father, George Bunger, and David Hendricks came from Preble county, Ohio, expecting to locate in LaPorte county and that when they came as far as the present site of Goshen they found a cabin a short distance south of Rock Run, and occupied by a man named Jacobs. It is also said that Elder David Cripe, the first Dunkard preacher in northern Indiana, built a cabin within the present limits in 1829, when he came here from Ohio. The date of Mr. Bissell’s coming here is not known. It is almost certain that it was not as early as 1828, the year that Mrs. Grissom says her step-father came.
The original plat of Goshen consisted of 92.28 acres, acquired by pre-emption from the government for county seat purposes and a tract purchased of Oliver Crane containing 27 acres, three roods and three rods, making a little more than 120 acres. The tract acquired from the government embraced that portion of the present city extending from the Elkhart river on the west to Cottage avenue on the east and from Clinton street on the north to the alley between Washington and Jefferson streets. The tract bought of Oliver Crane is immediately north of this, extending north from Clinton street.
As is stated elsewhere, after the site had been selected for a county seat, Oliver Crane was appointed county agent to sell lots. George Crawford surveyed the plot and the county agent began the sale of lots in the summer of 1831. Building began immediately afterward, log houses being built first. Nobody knows the dates when buildings were erected on any particular location. However, it is known that as early as 1832, there were a number of dwellings. One of the residences was that of Henry Dusenberry, where the Elkhart Circuit court held its fourth session in the early part of 1833. This was located on the east side of South Main street, about half way between Washington street and the first alley north. The house built by William Bissell, already mentioned, afterward became the home of Luke Hulett, who after Bissell’s death married his widow. Abner Stilson had a tavern for several years on the southeast corner of Main street and Lincoln avenue. There the county commissioners held their sessions from May, 1832, until August 1833, when the new court house was ready for occupancy. Mr. Stilson evidently did not conduct a hotel many years, as Mrs. Phoebe Chamberlain told the writer on her ninetieth birthday anniversary that when she came to Goshen, there was but one hotel, which was conducted by James Cook and that it was located on or not for from the site of the old Masonic block on north Main street. A log house stood on the site of the present Hotel Alderman. The Goshen Democrat had just been established and was conducted in a small frame building on north Main street and only a short distance south of Rock Run. Ebenzer Brown, who lived a mile and a half northeast of Goshen, Col. John Jackson and several other of the prominent men were financially interested in the enterprise. The Goshen Express, a Whig paper, was started a little while before The Democrat, by Anthony DeFreese and Charles L. Murray. A little later it was moved to Monoquet, in Kosciusko county.
When Mrs. Chamberlain came to Goshen there was
only one brick building and that was the court house.
The greater number of homes were built of logs, but
there were some that were part log and part frame. As
mentioned elsewhere, her husband built the first brick
As late as 1852 there were only twenty-one brick buildings in the town, including the court house and stores. Thirteen of the buildings were residences. These were the residences of James H. Barnes, on West Lincoln avenue, now the city hall. George P. Rowell, corner of Lincoln avenue and Third street, now the Mrs. Charles Kohler residence; W. A. Thomas, corner Second and Clinton streets; E. M. Chamberlain, North Main street, until recently Dr. Edmand’s office; Fred Jackson, north Fifth street, now Goshen hospital; John Cook, Jr., Mrs. Derlin, John Carpenter, Sr., Fred funk, B.G. Crary, Dr. Wickham, P. M. Henkel, and E. G. Chamberlain. Joseph D. Knox had a brick blacksmith shop on East Clinton street, just west of the present Church of the Brethren. His residence was across the street east. The Methodist church was on the west side of North Main Street, on the alley north of Clinton street. Te location of the other residences is not known. One of them was the Harvey E. Hawks residence, corner Third and Pike streets, but it has been impossible to ascertain who was the owner of it.
There is a rather interesting tradition concerning a romance connected with the last mentioned residence. It is said that George P Rowell and the man who built the house were rival suitors for the hand of the same young lady and that Rowell lost. The successful suitor built that house for his bride after their marriage. Mr. Rowell, in order to show her that he could build a bigger house, built the house on the corner of Lincoln avenue and Third street which he occupied for so many years.
In an article written for the Goshen Democrat in 1895, Mrs. Chauncey S. Hascall told many interesting things about Goshen and vicinity in the years of her early residence in this county. When her father, Ebenezer Brown came here in 1834, the town was only three years old. They located a mile and a half northeast of Goshen, on what was for many years known as the Yeoman farm. Their nearest neighbors were the residents of Goshen. The Brown family came from Yates county, N. Y., traveling by wagon to Buffalo, from Buffalo to Detroit by water and from Detroit to Goshen by wagon. They were two weeks on their way.
A part of her article is so interesting that it seems a pity to abbreviate it, so that part is reproduced here.
“The Methodists had a strong foothold here as in most new countries and the barn like structure they used many years for their church services witnessed many stirring, old fashioned revivals. There was no underpinning to the house and the meetings were often disturbed by animals which made their sleeping quarters there. The men sat on one side of the house and the women on the other.
“The first time I saw Mrs. Robinson, sister of Mrs. John Irwin, she was riding to church on the horse behind her husband who was the circuit preacher at that time. I think they came in from the Jackson homestead.
“Socially there were no dividing lines. Every man was as good as his neighbor, if not a little better. Log rollings, barn raisings and quilting bees were the chief entertainments. All the women in the neighborhood, an area of two or three square miles, assisted in getting up the big dinners for the men’s gatherings, thus combining pleasure with business in a way peculiar to new countries. John Hull’s dancing parties divided the social interests with the churches for some years. The late William Thomas, L. G. Harris, Abijah Hubbell, the Hascall’s, E. M. Chamberlain and wife and Mrs. J. P. Hawks are all that are left of the band that once tripped the light fantastic toe to the music of Hull’s violin in the old dancing room a Cook’s tavern. I remember seeing Mrs. J. P. Hawks (sister of Mrs. Hascall) starting for one of these parties on a horse behind her escort. That primitive fashion went out of date, as the new comers brought in buggies and other light vehicles which took the place of ‘prairie schooners’ and ‘riding double’ for pleasure excursions.
“The first wedding of note was that of I. M. Chamberlain to Miss Phoebe Hascall in 1838. All the ‘youth and beauty’ of Goshen graced the occasion. A Rev. Mr. Brown preformed the wedding ceremony.
“The first ‘society event’ of the town was Mr. Barnes large house warming party, some time near 1850. A number of South Bend people were there, among them Schuyler Colfax.
“As the town increased in population and wealth, large residences were built and society began to ‘put on airs’ dividend itself into ‘circles’, issued its mandates and with its city charter, put on metropolitan customs.”
Not long ago Dwight H. Hawks and James T. Maxfield, and how they came to locate in Goshen. In 1849 they left their home in Norwich, Ohio, to seek their fortunes in the west. They had no particular place in view but thought they might find a better place somewhere than their old home. They reached this county on the Fourth of July, ate their dinner at Benton and then drove on to Goshen. As they drove through Elkhart prairie they admired its fine fields of wheat and corn, but that was not what decided them. In less than an hour after they arrived in Goshen there was a fight in Main street a little south of Market street, (now Lincoln avenue). Mr. Maxfield remarked to Mr. Noble, “This must be a live town. Let’s stop here.” So they stopped and made plans for engaging in business. Mr. Maxfield remained only for a few years, when he moved to St. Paul, Minnesota, but Mr. Noble made Goshen his home for the remainder of his life, a period of more than fifty years. He was engaged in the hardware business for a number of years, but is remembered by the older people now living as a manufacturer of school furniture, his shops being the same ones which the Rock Run Mills now occupy. On the 26th of March, 1899, Mr. and Mrs. Noble celebrated their sixtieth wedding anniversary. (Bartholomew, Pioneer History of Elkhart County, 1930)
Goshen was the first town to receive a permanent name. As stated in the chapter
on locating the county seat, the legislature of 1831, appointed five commissioners to
examine eligible sites for the purpose of re-locating the county seat which had been
selected in 1830. Three of these commissioners met as they were instructed to do, on
the third Thursday in March, 1831, but did not make their final report until May 26.
On that date they reported to the board of justices that they had selected a site and
recommended that it be named Goshen. The report was accepted by the board and the name
was officially confirmed. Just how and why this name was selected is told by Col. John
Jackson in the Goshen Democrat for December 20, 1865. Col. Jackson was a member of the
board of justices at that time. After describing the spirited contest over the location
of the county seat he concludes by saying:
“The place had no name and the next question was, what should it be called? Major Violett proposed to call it Savannah (synonymous with prairie) which name suited me very well. David Miller, one of the commissioners, named Goshen, and the county justices, of whom I was one, concluded unanimously to call it by that name in honor of David Miller, who has been dead a number of years.”
There is a tradition which is traced back to the time “when the memory of man runneth not to the contrary” that the name of Goshen was chosen by Oliver Crane, one of the first settlers on the site of the present city and the first agent for the sale of lots in the newly chosen county seat. The reason assigned for the choice is that he came from Goshen, Orange county, New York, and wanted the new town named in honor of that place.
Among those who knew of this tradition was John W. Irwin. In a series of personal memoirs written by his own hand he says: “Among the principal men who were early settlers and that were here before 1832, the time of the coming of Alexander Irwin, was Oliver Crane, who had come from Orange county, New York, the county town of which county was named Goshen. It is understood that he was mainly influential in inducing those who had charged of laying out our county town, for the name given it. My father claimed to have been consulted about the name in 1831, and favored it not from the standpoint of Crane, to follow a town name to which he was attached from local consideration but from the fitness of the name as being a country rich and productive as that of Goshen in Egypt, occupied by the designation of Joseph, by his kins-people during their sojourn in that country.”
It is possible that Oliver Crane was the first to propose the name as the time honored tradition has it and that he might have suggested it to the commissioners at their previous meeting. But it seems quite unlikely that he was present when the commissioners made their report to the board of justices and when the place was officially given its name. Had he been present and proposed the name at that time Col. Jackson would doubtless have mentioned him, as he mentions Maj. Violett, who proposed another name. In the absence of any other evidence, the signed statement of Col. Jackson, whose word never was questioned by anybody who knew him, ought to be accepted concerning the official act of giving the new town its name. Notwithstanding the tradition concerning Oliver Crane, the honor of naming the place doubtless belongs to David Miller, who, according to the same authority, had much to do with the selection of the site in preference to the other sites that were proposed. (Bartholomew, Pioneer History of Elkhart County, 1930)
The Fire Department of Goshen. The first company organized at Goshen was known as the
“Reliance Engine Company, No. 1” and dates back for service to Sept. 4, 1862.
Its roll of last year showed a membership of 21 men.
The “Rescue Hook & Ladder Company, No 1” was organized almost six years later, or on May 4, 1868, and at its last review (1879) comprised 24 members. Both companies were duly erected and chartered under the lows of the State.
The “Reliance Hose Company, No. 1” composed of 17 men, was organized July 2, 1870, and the “Hydraulic Hose Company, No. 2,” completed its organization Jan. 25, 1872, and now possesses an available force of 17 men.
The companies subsequently organized are “Triumph, No. 1,” July 19, 1875, with a roster of 22 men; “Goshen Hose Company, No. 4,” June 21, 1875, now composed of 22 men, and the companies Nos. 3 and 4, comprising youths under 21 years of age.
An address delivered by Capt. Q. W. Simmons at the Parade and Review of Firemen, held at Goshen in May, 1879, dealt with the benefits accruing to the community from these organizations. He referred to the conflagration of December, 1877, when to make an effort at saving from destruction the Noble and Crary building on Market street the Fire Department worked with unequalled perseverance, under every disadvantage that a freezing wind entailed, and succeeded in insuring the safety of adjoining property. On the first Monday in February, 1880, the Triumph Hose Company dedicated its new reading and club rooms at Goshen. The Hon. Henry D. Wilson dwelt at some length and very eloquently upon the success which had been attained by the Fire Department recapitulated much of its interesting history, and concluded by a relation of the many benefits destined to accrue to the members from their new reading room and club.
The Postoffice of this city is conveniently situated, and well administered. An idea of the business transacted annually may be had from the fact that the letters, postal cards, packets and newspapers sent through the mails during the first week of November, 1879, aggregated 9,000. The present postmaster succeeded his father, Dr. E. W. H. Ellis, in that position in 1876.
|Flour, per bbl. $7.50||Chickens, per pair, 25c|
|Wheat, per bu. $1.50||Eggs, per doz. 12 ˝ c|
|Buckwheat flour, per bu., $3.00||Beef, per lb. 6 ˝ c|
|Corn meal, per bu. 62 ˝ c||Pork, per lb. 12 ˝ c|
|Corn, per bu. 50c||Butter, per lb. 25 c|
|Oats, per bu. 37 ˝ c||Lard, per lb. 16 c|
|Potatoes, per bu. 37 ˝ c||Tallow, per lb. 15 c|
The Hydraulic Canal. During the year 1866 a project, which was to render Goshen a
most important manufacturing town, was originated, and in 1868, brought to completion.
Among those to whom thanks are mainly due for this great motive power are J. H. Defrees,
E. W. Ellis, Dr. M. M. Latta, P. M. Henkel, Cephas Hawks, Milton Mercer, John Stauffer
and Adam Yeakell. The western bank of this canal is formed from earth taken from the face
of the plateau, above the valley of the Elkhart. The water of the river proper was diverted
from its natural course, one and one-half miles south of the city, and turned into this
channel at a cost of $100,000. This large investment dwindles into insignificance when the
manifold advantages of this wealth-giving canal are considered. This fact will be further
substantiated by the following review of the industries which almost owe it their present
prosperous condition, if not their very existence.|
The Linseed-Oil Mills. These mills were established in 1868 by J. H. Defrees and son. The first year’s operations consumed about 5,000 bushels of seed, of which 3,000 bushels were supplied by the county. In 1872, 10,054 bushels were purchased in the Goshen market, forming half the quantity operated upon that year. The year 1878 was the beginning of the great progress. No less than 30,000 bushels of seed were converted into oil and oil cake. In 1880 the purchase of flax-seed reached 42,000 bushels, yielding 84,000 gallons of linseed oil, and 1,555,400 lbs. of oil cake. The export of the manufacturing oils and cake has reached an extent as surprising as it is consolatory. The position of this mill among kindred establishments throughout the country is high indeed. The enterprise which carried out the project deserves a most flattering recognition from those without as well as within the State. In the little city of the Elkhart valley, every advance made by such an industry is hailed with delight, and it is to be hoped that not only will the present large trade continue, but rather increase, until the enterprise of the proprietor calls for the erection of additions to the present extensive facilities which the mill offers.
The Grist-Mill was erected at the instance of J. H. Defrees in 1879, south of Market street, on the hydraulic canal. This mill commenced operations in October, 1879, and is likely to prove another link in the chain of progress.
C. & E. Hawks’ Mill and Factory. The flouring mill of Cephas and Eleazer Hawks was erected on the hydraulic canal in 1868. Previously, from 1836 to 1844, they operated the old grist-mill of Elias Baker, at Waterford, and in the latter year reconstructed it. In the new building, the work of the mill was carried on down to 1868, when the machinery was moved to the present establishment. In 1836, the mill gave employment to four men, now eight and often 10 hands are employed, and the trade has advanced from a few barrels per week to 1,000. The number of bushels of wheat converted into flour weekly is about 5,000, or 260,000 annually.
Goshen City Flouring Mills. These were erected in 1868-69 by Thomas and Stauffer, at a cost of $16,000. The same firm continued to operate it until the death of MR. Stauffer in September, 1875, since which time Mr. W. A. Thomas has been sole proprietor.
The mill is a large frame building, situated upon the hydraulic, the main building being 67x33 feet, four floors, with an addition of 16x50 feet. Water is the motor power used, and the mill is supplied with five run of stone, four of them four feet in diameter, and one 30 inches. The capacity of the mill may be fairly stated at 100 to 125 bbls. of flour per day. Both custom and merchant work are done, the merchant flout being largely shipped to New York and Baltimore. The number of men employed at beginning was six, while at present there are 15. There are 30,000 barrels of flour produced annually, valued at $150,000. The cooperage attached gives employment to seven men.
The Goshen Woolen Mills. The woolen mill projected by C. B. Alderman and J. E. Winegar in 1869 and completed in 1870, proved one of the most extensive and profitable enterprises of the time. In April, 1871, Gen. M. S. Hascall entered into the partnership; in April, 1875, J. M. Noble purchased an interest, and in February, 1880, the old firm disposed of their entire interest to the firm of Noble, Kerstetter & Co. The company includes Messrs. King & Field of the Clear Lake Mills, E. R. Kerstetter, of Elkhart, with Mr. Kerstetter and J. M. Noble, of Goshen. There are 1,040 spindles in use, and in October, 1879, self-operating spinners were introduced, at a cost of $2,500, while other improvements are meditated.
The mill is a stone and brick structure, the main building being 40x95 feet, three floors and basement. It has two additions, the dye house, one floor, 24x36 feet, and engine and boiler room, two floors, 36x46 feet, the second story being used as a drying department. The mill has really three sets: two for manufacturing, and one for custom. The machinery is operated by either water or steam power, one 44-inch turbine wheel, taking its power from the hydraulic, being used, and also a 40-horse power engine with 65-horse power boiler. There are 680 spindles, three broad and eight narrow looms, together with all necessary dyeing and fulling and other apparatus. In the mill a force numbering 30 or more is usually employed.
The chief produce of the Goshen Woolen Mills are flannels, jeans, blankets and yarns, though some cassimeres and cloths are made. Besides having a large local trade the mill sells its goods very generally throughout six of the Western States,—Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa,— and it pursues a policy distinctively its own, as, instead of virtually paying a commission to jobbers to introduce the goods, the firm sells direct to retailers. It has been a policy productive of good results, too, and the business has grown to such proportions that the “Goshen Woolen Mills” are known far and wide. Aiming not only at excellence, but uniform excellence in manufacture and placing straight goods on the market at the lowest rates, the enterprise has worked out its own career. The value of sales for the first six months in 1880 summed up $50,000, which compares very favorably with the amount of sales effected during the corresponding period in 1868, which scarcely exceeded $27,000. The cost of building and machinery was about $40,000.
The Saw and Planning Mill located on the hydraulic canal possesses both water and steam power.
The mill was projected in 1864 by David Darr, who sold interest in 1866 to John
B. Drake. In 1877 C. A. Davis entered into a partnership, and subsequently purchased
the entire concern. The cost of the original building is estimated at $12,000. Its
capacity is set down at 1,500,000 feet of hard lumber, such as poplar, walnut, oak,
maple and hickory. In preparing the raw lumber for market 15 men receive constant
employment. The value of annual product is set down at $20,000.
Though the mills just reviewed are all extensive and require a great water-power such as the canal bestows, yet half the advantages which the hydraulic offers are not requisitioned. There is room for many additions to the industrial establishment of the city, and nowhere is a finer location presented than that which the neighborhood of the canal affords.
The Noble School Furniture Company. The officers of the company are: J. M. Noble, President; L. H. Noble, Treasure, and W. A. Bradford, Secretary, the active management of the business mainly resting with the two last lamed gentlemen, Mr. J. M. Noble finding his time occupied in the management of the large hardwood lumber interest of L. H. Noble & Son. He also, as elsewhere stated, is connected with the Goshen Woolen Mill Company. Mr. L. H. Noble came to Elkhart county in 1849, from Ohio, and ever since has been in active business here. The company established themselves in the school- furniture manufactory business in 1872, and they now employ 50 hands, and sell about $115,000 worth of furniture per year. They have a branch office and salesroom at 270 and 272 Wabash avenue, Chicago, under the charge of C. R. Hewett, and orders of letters of inquiry addressed either here or there will meet with prompt attention.
The material used by the company in the construction of their school furniture and tables is wholly walnut and ash. The school furniture is made with alternate strips of this material, so that the effect is pleasing to the eye; the seat conforms itself to the body in such a natural manner as to avoid fatigue. This accomplished, that is, conformity to the natural pose of the body, it became necessary to embody other points of excellence, so that strength and durability should be combined with an appearance of lightless.
In the manufacture of school furniture especial attention is also paid to teachers’ desks of various patterns. The firm also sells gloves, chairs, blackboards and the many adjuncts of the school-room.
The factory itself is by the side of the L. S> & M. S. R’y, having abundant side track. The main building is a three story frame structure (built last year) 46x100 feet. The engine boiler room and kilns are 42x65 feet, and a two-story wareroom, frame, 44x98 feet, is now building. The work room may really be considered models in their way. They are splendidly lighted, are heated by steam, and every convenience exists for prosecuting work expeditiously. The various machinery in use (and machinery is used wherever it can be to advantage) is of the best pattern, selected with special reference to the peculiar lines of manufacture engaged in by the company. The buildings, although frame, are well protected against fire by a through system of pipes and hose, with abundant water supply, and , taken all in all, the most casual visitor can see that the works are the result of experience and careful observation.
The Furniture Factory was built in 1872 for the purpose of a sewing-machine factory, and continued to be so used until July, 1874, when Hawks, Fravel & Co. purchased the building and projected the manufacture of furniture. This firm continued the making of furniture until July, 1878, when Hawks Brothers purchased the entire interest. The progress is marked indeed. In 1874 20 men were employed; now no less than 75 hands are directly engaged in connection with the work. The annual value of products in 1874 was about 20,000; of 1879, $65,000, and a sale of goods amounting to $80,000 may be reported for 1880. The cost of the original factory was $5,000, additions since made, $2,000, and machinery, $5,000. The lumber used in the manufacture of furniture is obtained from this and neighboring counties.
Messrs. C. & E. Hawks may be said to have built and equipped the two factories to which reference has been made. They also built the flouring mill, and the large double store occupied by the firm,—a three-story and basement building 44x85 feet—and in numerous other ways have advanced the best interests of the city. The firm of Hawks Bros. & Co. have an enormous trade. They deal in dry goods and general merchandise, and in hardware; they have an establishment that is known far and wide through the county, and none of our business firms command greater confidence or greater trade. Together with all this, the employment of a force bordering on 100 is a boon to the city which cannot be over-estimated.
Crary’s Furniture Factory was established in 1867-68 by B. G. Crary, and was the first building erected for manufacturing purposes along the hydraulic. The cost of structure and machinery was $10,500. The number of men employed at beginning was six, while at present the factory gives employment to 20 hands. The trade principally in extension tables, and is carried over all the State. From an annual product of $6,000 the business has gradually grown, until now the whole sale department turns out goods to the value of $20,000, and the retail about $12,000.
The manufacture of furniture for retail trade includes bureaus, bedsteads, tables. The factory is a large frame building, three stories high and 30x80 feet. It is well equipped with machinery, water-power from the hydraulic being used, and during the day the factory presents a busy aspect.
Chair Factory. The manufacture of chairs was established in June, 1876, by Howe & Simmsons, but Mr. Howe, who was engaged in that work, may claim the credit of inaugurating that factory. The factory occupies the entire second floor of Gortner’s foundry. The machinery is valued at $2,500; seven men are employed, and the value of goods manufactured in 1880 approximates $20,000. About 400 chairs are made every week, and still the firm intends to further increase their facilities, until the increasing demand is fully met.
Hattel Brothers & Co. Hattel Brothers erected the western end of this industrial concern in December, 1877, and the company, subsequently organized, made additions, until the building now forms a rectangle 102x40 feet. The cost of this structure is estimated at $2,400, and that of the machinery at $3,000. The number of men employed in 1877 did not exceed 10, while now the factory gives employment to no less a number than 40. Five are also employed, who sold during the past year $50,000 worth of tables, bedsteads and bureaus in Indiana, Iowa and Missouri. In 1876 the wares of the Messrs. Hattel were destroyed y fire, entailing a total loss of $1,300. The present firm comprises Messrs. Henry Kolb, Wm. Grose, D. W. and Jacob Hattel. Though young in years, it has made very favorable progress, and gives promise of reaching the climax of commercial prosperity.
Goshen Pump Company. This company with W. L. Bivins as President, manufactures 40,000 pumps annually, and gives employment to between 25 and 30 men. It was established here in 1872. The first pump factory was inaugurated at Waterford in 1851, by J. Wegely, who in 1853 disposed of his interest to Jonas Shively, and he in turn sold out, in 1855, to W. D. Platter. Platter moved his machinery to Goshen, where he continued the manufacture until June, 1879, when the works were purchased by the present company.
I. X. L. Pump Co. This manufacture was established Jan. 1, 1880, by James A. Arthur, John Korrady, Jr., and
Alfred Lowry. The number of men employed by this firm during the month of March, 1880,
was fur; at present the factory gives employment to 13, and is making such satisfactory
progress, that an addition to the force may be necessary during the coming year.
E. & J. Gortner’s Iron Foundry. This iron foundry was started in 1863 by Messrs. Gortner & Smith. The built the large house now occupied by the Goshen Pump Company, Howe & Simmons’ Chair Factory, and by the foundry. The building cost about $8,000, and the entire concern with machinery about $22,000. A lathe purchased in 1864 cost $960. In 1866-7 the number employed was 40 men. The threshing machines of the firm are widely known over the State, and win for the manufacturers a prosperous trade. Since 1868 the foundry has been exclusively managed by J. Gortner, and a steady business has been maintained. It is located near the L. S. & M. S. railway, the main building a frame 40x110 feet, two floors, with foundry and blacksmith shop 36x80, and another addition 35x60. The works are well provided with both iron and wood-working machinery, and has working capacity for full 50 men, though the force rarely numbers more than 20.
The Wagon Factory of J. J. Delotter. Among other prosperous manufacturing interest in our sister city of Goshen we make note of its carriage manufactories, and here refer to the one named above. The shops are old established, but Mr. Delotter’s proprietorship of them dated from February.
Adam Yeakel’s Factory is among the principal carriage and wagon establishments of the city. The number of men employed ranges from five to eight, and the quality and style of workmanship is much appreciated by the people.
Goshen Sweeper and Wringer Co. This company was organized in 1878, with C. W. Walker and H. E. Gore as principals. The buildings erected by the firm and completed in 1880 are extensive and neat. The main building is 100 feet long by 40 feet wide, and gives place to two floors. The wareroom office and brush factory are in another building, 50x30 feet. The cost of both structures was $4,000, and of machinery, even now in use, $2,800. The number of hands employed in 1878 was 20. This force has been augmented by a similar number in 1880. In 1878 the sales were $18,000, in 1879 $27,000, and in 1880 $40,000. The trade of the firm extends over the Eastern and Western States, with the principal markets in Chicago, New York, Boston and Philadelphia. There are 25 traveling agents and two clerks engaged in transacting the business of the firm. Mr. Gore is the inventor and patentee of sweeper and wringer.
Angel’s Cooperage. The first cooperage was erected by Christian Angle in 1861 on Third street. He employed four men, who were occupied in turning out work for Messrs. Thomas & Stauffer, J. H. Defrees, for his Syracuse mill, and Dr. E. W. H. Ellis’ mills at Goshen. In 1862 the cooperage required the services of eight men. That year he rented steam power from Geo. Powell and used stave machinery. In 1863 he entered into partnership with M. M. Bartholomew, and moved the machinery one-half mile south of Goshen. Here the most remarkable progress was made, 20 men were employed, and the patronage of Messrs. W. A. Thomas, C. & E. Hawks, Geo. W. Ellis, of Goshen and Turner & Company, of Chicago, secured. Before the close of the year M. M. Bartholomew disposed of his half interest to Mr. Angel, and the latter moved the machinery and shop to the present location on Second street, near Third and Madison. Here the work of the cooperage son increased that it gave employment to 35 men; but the fire-fiend attacked the shops Aug. 12 1873, and destroyed both buildings and machinery. The proprietor lost by this fire about $4,000 directly, and indirectly, $1,500. The manufactures, bankers and merchants offered to contribute an amount equal to the entire loss, and would have done so had not Angel requested his good neighbors to desist. In 1874 a new building was completed and the cooperage again in full operation. Since that period a steady trade has been maintained, and many additions made to the building.
Echart’s Cooperage. John B. Echart’s factory, at the corner of Madison and Eighth streets, gives employment to three men. The principal wooden-ware produced comprises butter-tubs and tight work.
Straub’s Cooperage. Straub’s manufactory is principally devoted to egg barrels and packing barrels.
Rad & Ringley’s Cooperage is devoted to custom-work. The work is generally substantial and meets the approval of the patrons of the firm.
The Riverside Cigar Company was formed early in 1876, with John A. Tiedeman as principal. The trade has been steadily increasing until now it approximates $3,000. The leaf used in the factory is principally purchased in Chicago and Detroit, and a market for the manufactured goods found within the county.
Nathan Sailenger’s Factory is not so extensive as that of the Riverside company. His trade is chiefly confined to the county.
Manuel Gonzales does a limited, but a paying trade. The manufacture of cigars here gives employment to seven men; the character of the goods is in high repute, and the extent of the trade satisfactory to the persons engaged in it.
E. W. Walker’s Factory. The factory
was established in 1870, the present
works, located by the side of the L. S. &
M. S. railway, having been built by Mr.
Walker in 1875. The main building is a
wo-story brick structure, 52x100 feet,
with engine room 25x50. The motive
power is steam, a 60-horse power
engine being used, and in the works
employment is given to a force usually
numbering from 50 to 60 hands.
The trade of the works is principally with manufacturing in some six or eight of the Western States, the chief sales being made in Illinois, Missouri, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana and Kentucky. Some traveling for orders is done, but the great bulk of business seeks the factory direct.
During the first year of the business from 35 to 40 men were employed and the annual value of product was $40,000. Within a period of 10 years this value has risen to $130,000. The value of machinery is estimated at $14,000 and that of the building at $19,000. Edward W. Walker is manager and proprietor.
Whittaker Brothers’ Shops. The
shops were established in 1872. The
buildings cost $2,500, and the amount of
annual product about $5,000. The working
force has increased from two in 1872 to
12 in 1880.
The City National Bank. The City National was organized in December, 1872, with an authorized capital of $150,000, of which $50,000 was paid in. This paid-in capital has since been increased $20,000 by its surplus earnings, making the real capital of the bank at the present time $70,000. At its organization H. H. Hitchcock was elected President and Ira W. Nash, Cashier.
The directory included the President and Cashier, Messrs. J. H. Defrees, Joseph Lauferty, Abraham F. Wilden, Laporte Heffner, Henry J. Beyerle, E. W. Walker.
In the election of 1880, held by the stockholders of the City National Bank, the following directory was chosen: Messrs. J. H. Defrees, Dr. H. H. Hitchcock, A. C. Jackson, E. W. Walker, Joseph Lauferty, H. Elson, and Ira W. Nash.
The officers then elected comprised Messrs. A. C. Jackson, President; H. H. Hitchcock, Vice President; and Ira W. Nash, Cashier.
The bank has had a prosperous career. Its deposits average about $50,000. Last summer, to afford itself convenient quarters, it built the handsome stone bank building now occupied, the property representing a valuation of about $8,000. The office itself is neatly fitted up, and in the rear of the bank proper (which embraces cashier’s and teller’s department, vault, safe, etc.) are the private rooms of the officers. The resources of this institution in 1879-80 were estimated at $178,932. This is the only national bank at Goshen, and there is but one other in the county. Its record is one concerning which its officials may well feel proud, and its influence in business circles is scarcely to be estimated.
The Salem Bank dates its
organization in 1854, we believe, and
for a number of years was a bank of
issue, operating under a State charter
with John Cook, Thomas G. Harris and
Samuel Geisinger forming the directory.
Of late years it has been a private bank,
and in 1865 Messrs. Milo S. Hascall and
John W. Irwin became its proprietors,
succeeding John Cook. Both of these
gentlemen are old residents of the county.
Gen. Hascall was a graduate of West Point,
and also an attorney by profession. He was
Clerk of he county when the war broke out;
resigning that office he entered the army;
became Colonel of the 17th Ind., and
afterwards Brigadier General; for a time
was military commander of the State, and
resigned in 1864; has since made his home
here. He has been in the county about 30
years, and always has been an active business
man. Mr. Irwin is also an attorney; for two
terms was Treasurer of the county, and has
lived in Elkhart county since 1832.
The resources of the bank may be set down at $105,000, made up of building, safe and fixtures valued at $7,000, with cash assets, including capital, estimated at $98,000. The liabilities of this banking house in October, 1880, summed up $65,000.
A. F. Wilden’s Bank was
established in 1871 by Mr. Wilden. The
first office was in the Mechanics block;
but in 1875 a change was made to the
present commodious building, just east
of the City National on Market street.
Mr. Wilden continues to manage the concern
with Mr. John L. Blue as Cashier.
The Farmers Bank. This monetary establishment was organized in 1876 with W. A. Thomas and Laporte Heffner forming the proprietary. The actual resources of the bank in October, 1880, were $100,000, with a large and neat office in Thomas’ block valued at $9,000. The original projectors take an active part in administering banking business at present and are assisted by Mr. Miller, formerly County Recorder. The high reputation attained by these bankers is fully merited. (Chapman, History of Elkhart County, 1881)
Being Quin Coogin - Chapter One | Annie's Ghost | Elkhart | Elkhart County | Elkhart County Schools |
History of South Bend | Links Page | Mishawaka | Pioneer Life | The Pottawatomie Indians |
Slavery in Indiana | St. Joseph County | The Yacht |
Website created by: Lucena A. Taylor and hosted by Eric K. Idema